Alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, otherwise known as Evans and six others over the alleged kidnap of Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical Ltd, Donatius Dunu in Lagos will be opening their defence on January 31 as prosecution closes case against before an Ikeja High Court.
Paperena reports that the court witnessed an unusual heavy presence of security operatives as the State Prosecuting team closes case against
Evans is standing trial alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba before Justice Hakeem Oshodi.
The six defendants were arraigned on August 30, 2017 on a two-count charge of conspiracy and kidnapping.
According to the prosecution, they kidnapped Dunu and collected 223,000 Euros (N100 million) as ransom from his family.
Evans is also standing trial before two other courts for the alleged kidnap of other victims.
At the resumed trial of the matter yesterday, the was a noticable increase of security personnels deployed by the police to the court.
While the matter was ongoing, scores of officers from the Special Anti-Roberry Squad, SARS and the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team, were sighted within and outside the courtroom.
The Investigating Police Officer (IPO) Insp. Idowu Haruna, who had been absent during three previous proceeding, in his concluding testimony narrated how Evans spent the ramsom he collected from his victims.
He said, “The proceed collected by the first defendant was used for purchasing houses a Magodo Estate Lagos where he was arrested. He also bought a house at Emmanuel Keshi street at Magodo Estate. He bought a house located at Accra, Ghana. The 1st defendant also bought landed property at Anambra State from the proceed of the ransom.”
At the instance of the counsel to the 6th defendant (Victor Aduba) Emmanuel Ochai, a video clip of Evans confessional statement was played in court where he (Evans) claimed that the 6th defendant who is a dismissed soldier did not partake in the kidnap of Dunu.
After the testimony of the Insp Haruna, the prosecuting counsel, Adebayo Haroun told the court that the state has concluded it’s case against the defendant.
“My Lord, at the junction, prosecution would like to close its case against the defendants,” he said.
The presiding judge, Justice Hakeem Oshodi thereafter adjourned the matter till January 31, 2020 for the defence to open its case.