How DPO Tear Gas, Calls Me Prostitute After My Ordeal – Rape Victim Narrates

A rape victim today told Justice Sybil Nwaka of a Lagos State Special and sexual Offences court how a Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Anthony Village Police Division  tear gas her and called her a prostitution when she went to report a rape case.

The victim (name withheld ), a secondary school pupil was allegedly raped on September 15, 2015,.

While being led in evidence by the state counsel, Inumidun Solarin, she told the court how she had gone to report the incident at the police station when the unidentified DPO allegedly used the tear gas on her.

According to her, “On the day of the incident, I was coming back from a church programme, and went to a nearby shop to buy some things for my mother when I was accosted by one Afis Akande.

 ” Akande asked me to follow him to his house under the pretext that my uncle is in his house.

The secondary school pupil also told the court presides by Justice Sybil Nwaka how she was raped by Akande.

She said, “I was in JSS3 when I know Afis Akande, I was coming back from church and I branched at a shop to buy some things when he came in and he asked me I had earlier ignored him when he called me.

“He said I am feeling like a big girl and that was why I did not answer, I apologised and he asked me if I have seen him on the street before and I answered in affirmative.

“He said he knows me very well and he started talking about my relatives and my mother. I tried to leave since I did not see what I wanted to buy in the shop but he told me that he will take me to where I will see what I want to buy.

“He took me to a mall and offered to pay for what I bought which I refused but he prevailed and paid for the items, after leaving the mall, he told me that my uncle is in his house and I should follow him to see my uncle.

“We took a motorcycle to the Westex area of Gbagada where he stays, after alighting from the motorcycle; we crossed over to Water Cooperation Pipeline to get to his compound.

Instead of entering the compound, he took me to a bush, tore my trousers and pulled my pant to rape me. I cried and begged him to leave me alone but he did not listen to me.”

The victim who added that a man who came to the bush whom she thought would rescue her started called her a prostitute and held her down for Akande to have his way for the second time.

She said after she was freed to go by Akande, she went to the Anthony Police Division to report the incident.

She said, “When I went to Anthony police station to report, the DPO who blamed me for going to Akande’s house used tear gas on me, threatened to use the tear gas on my private part and called me a prostitute.

“After maltreating me, I was asked to write a statement before the case was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.”

Akande is facing a one count charge of defilement.

During the proceedings on Tuesday, there was a twist when Akande’s counsel, Worer Obuagbaka, after listening to the victim’s ordeal told the court that he wanted to disengage himself from the case.

Justice Nwaka, however, refused him on the basis that he had not presented a cogent reason before the court.

She adjourned the matter until January 30, 2018.